Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Geek Side of Gardening...

So everyone knows I'm a computer geek... but I love gardening even more.  So how do you marry the two together?  GARDENING APPS!!

I'll run down on a few of the gardening apps that I use on my iPad currently.

1.  Grow Planner.  This is an app purchased through Mother Earth News.  It is a companion of their online Garden Planner (http://www.motherearthnews.com/garden-planner/vegetable-garden-planner.aspx).  I use both online and the app versions.  Sometimes its easier to design the gardens online since the mouse has more control.  But its nice to bring up the plan on my iPad and look things over - update the varieties I plan on growing, and look at the plant guide.  The Plant guide is the best part about the app and it gives you a break down of when you should start the seeds indoors, plant outside and harvest.  You can even have an update emailed to you so you don't forget about what to plant/when.  You can get a free 30 days account online to play around with but its only like $25/year for a full account.  I just got done starting my plan for 2013 - you can print the plan as well as publish to the web.  Here is my 2013 Garden Plan as of now.  I will constantly update it with the varieties I purchase or just change my mind of where I want things located - just an easy drag and drop.  So far the only plant they didn't have in their database was peanuts - which will be my 1st time of ever planting them.  



2. Companions. This app is all about companion gardening - planting certain crops together to get benefits.   The app has most general vegetables listed and it will tell you which other plants it likes to be planted with - and those it should never be planted with.


3.  Permaculture.   This app is kind of a newsfeed app with great articles about gardening.

4. Veg Calendar.  This app gives you data on what conditions different vegetables can grow - like if they are tolerant to frosts or can withstand hot summers, etc.


5.  GardenGuide & HowToCan are both apps but out by Mother Earth News as well - these are meant more for the iPhone but can be used on iPad.  Each gives you general information about each subject for a quick reference.

6.  ShopNoGMO and nonGMO - if you know me at all you know I am Anti-GMO crops.  I prefer to know my food wasn't created in a science lab, but instead is naturally God created.  Both of these apps are great reference apps to be used when out grocery shopping to try to stay clean from the monster-foods that is out there.  Unfortunately over 75% of all processed food now contains GMO crops (corn, soy, sugar beets, etc) - but there are some food companies that care about the well being of their customers and strictly use non-GMO sources - these apps allow you to find out who those companies are and which ones to stay away from.

Hope this helps other Gardener Geeks like me!  If you have other gardening apps that you use and love - please leave me a comment and tell me about them!  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment