Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 Year in Review.... June

June started out very very wet and full of problems!  The basement was taking on water from all the rain we had, then I noticed the water was not draining from the down spout drains...
Water standing at ground level in down spout drains.

Our June 4th our 1st delivery for the basketball court showed up... its still 'rock' but so crushed that the ball bounced nicely on it compared to the gravel.


The following day I went to Marion to buy some tools to work on the 'basement waterproofing' project and was able to get these photos of the fields (most of which were already planted with corn) still laying full of water...


After seeing that damage I wasn't complaining so much about the bit of water in the basement...yikes!  That night I came home and started to dig out the hole that would be my sump pit...  until i had it completed I just stuck bricks in the bottom to set the pump on...  it stayed busy for a while.  That was not a fun job digging out that clay mud cause it kept filling up with water as I dug it out... I had to sit there with a little juice cup and manually empty the hole as I dug. 
So the next project was getting the downspout drain line fixed... who knew that was gonna be as big of a mess as it turned out to be...  I thought oh its clogged with some leaves or something... call the plumber to come use his power snake on it and it will all be good.  Plumber said he went out 30-40' and it was clear that the clog had to be further down.  Gave me another guy to call.... and this is what my yard looked like then....

1st they dug there and found out there was no pipe going thru there...

they found the drain line to the east side of the red barn... and we think it ran under the barn. 

All the drain tiles were 90% clogged with mud.  We think person who ran water lines to the barns 4 yrs ago broke the drain tiles in a spot and never fixed it... leading to this.  These were here for over 80+ yrs tho so I'm sure that had something to do with it too.  The guys said what will have to happen is run all new lines from the house out to the main line in the field (if its clean).  Either way we had to wait till the wheat in the field was harvested.

Week later it was time for the new seamless gutters to be installed.  Here are some photos of how bad the old steel ones were looking...


The same gutter as above but new!  But look at the guys working on the other run...
one guy is literally standing on the others back as a ladder - oh I'm sure OSHA
would LOVE to see that!!  No protective gear... these guys also used my new ladder which
I don't care but don't you think they would at least ask first?  I would have thought
they would have brought their own equipment knowing its a 2nd story house.

Mid June all the plants were really looking green... guess all the rain helped.
Grapes

Blueberries




Blackberries & Raspberries

Then at the end of June we were finally starting on getting the roofs repainted... YAY!!!  No more surface rust showing.



Scott starting  with the rust primer...
This project wasn't completed till July - so check back to see how they looked after.

No comments:

Post a Comment